Student Liability Insurance/Background Checks
All partnership school systems require a clear criminal history and one million dollars of liability insurance before placing a student in a school for a field experience. It is the responsibility of the KSU student to acquire a criminal history clearance and insurance coverage in order to participate in the field experience.
Student Liability Insurance Options
- Student Professional Association of Georgia Educator (SPAGE)
- Click here for page.site-ym.com
- Select Membership > Join now > Join as a New Member > Fill out the form [at Function, select College Student] > Select your preference for a college student membership
- Student Membership in Georgia Association of Educators (GAE)
- Click here for gae.org
- Select Membership & Administrative Services > Joining the Georgia Association of Educators > Membership forms and Process > Scroll to - Options to join Student GAE [You can print confirmation by clicking on Check My Membership Status on Student enrollment page.]
- For a step-by-step video, click here.
Background Check Information
The background check information below pertains to foundation course background checks only. Birth to Kindergarten and Elementary Education courses require background checks through Bright from the Start. Visit the CEPP office to begin the Bright from the Start background check process.
Please Note: Some partnership school districts require their own background checks. All additional costs are to be covered by the student. Atlanta Public Schools and Dekalb County Schools require teacher candidates to be fingerprinted and processed through the district’s department of Public Safety. There is an additional cost of the criminal background check is $45.00. Please bring cash or a money order. Checks are not accepted.
Background Checks for EDUC 2110 and EDUC 2120
- Background checks are conducted by Castlebranch, Inc.
- Castlebranch provides results in a secure environment. Once the background check request is successfully submitted, the results will be available in approximately 3 - 5 business days.
- The cost will be $43.50 payable by Credit Card, Check or Money Order.
- Students must pass the background check before visiting partnership schools.
Forms required for Background Check
Once you have your insurance, you can fill out the required forms online using the DocuSign system. You will receive an email from DocuSign that has a link to the forms. The link contains the liability and personal affirmation forms. To complete the DocuSign forms:
- Select the link within the email to go the DocuSign forms.
- Fill in your name and email address and click “Begin Signing”.
- Click continue.
- Select “Start” to be directed to the first field.
- Fill in all required fields and click “sign”. You can select your signature style.
- Click “Finish”.
- A copy of the completed signed document will be sent to email address you provided.
- To download the completed document, select the down arrow located at the top of the document window.
- Select combined PDF.
Once saved, you can upload these forms into your Castlebranch background check account.
If you wish to manually fill out the forms, print, fill out, and sign forms. Scan
each form separately and upload into your Castlebranch account.
Here are links to each form:
Liability Insurance form
Personal Affirmation form
Ordering a Background Check:
You need your KSU ID number, social security number and method of payment.
- Go to www.castlebranch.com, select Place Order, and enter (KE61) in the package code box.
- Select a method of payment: Credit Card, Check or Money Order ($43.50 fee).
Complete the Georgia Statewide Release form. You can fill in most of the form online, but print and sign the form by hand. To avoid cancellation, this form must be returned within five business days by sending the form via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing to: 910-343-9731.
Upload the liability insurance form and the personal affirmation forms into your Castlebranch account that you completed via DocuSign or filled out manually.
Ensure all requirements within the “To Do” list are complete. Castlebranch will email you with missing requirements.
The background check should be completed within 3-5 business days after submitting.
When the background check is completed and passed, there will be green check marks next the Background section and the Document Manager section. Other indicators will be reviewed by the CEPP Director.
- For assistance with background check call: 1(888) 723-4263 or email: email@example.com or contact Michelle Davidson at: firstname.lastname@example.org.