M.Ed. in Secondary & Middle Grades EducationCOURSES FAQS OVERVIEW KSU CATALOG
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Secondary or Middle Grades Education is for teachers certified in middle (4-8) or secondary (6-12) English/language arts, history/social studies, mathematics, or the sciences.
These content-focused, standards-based programs emphasize the development of:
- evidence-based instructional leaders who know how to build on the strengths and meet the needs of all learners;
- reflective scholar-practitioners who know how to use, produce, and disseminate educational research; and
- responsive change agents who know how to maintain partnerships with families and communities.
Program of Study
The program includes 36 total hours, including, at least, 15 hours of core courses and 12 hours of teaching field courses. Candidates may take additional teaching field courses or elective courses in an endorsement field that will add the respective endorsement to their teaching certificates.
We offer the following degree options:
- M.Ed. in Middle Grades Language Arts (ONLINE*)
- M.Ed. in Secondary English (ONLINE*)
- M.Ed. in Middle Grades Mathematics (ONLINE*)
- M.Ed. in Secondary Mathematics (ONLINE*)
- M.Ed. in Middle Grades Science (HYBRID)
- M.Ed. in Secondary Science (HYBRID)
- M.Ed. in Middle Grades Social Studies (ONLINE/HYBRID**)
- M.Ed. in Secondary History (ONLINE/HYBRID**)
*The Middle Grades Language Arts, Secondary English, Middle Grades Mathematics, and Secondary Mathematics programs are fully online when candidates complete an endorsement. Endorsement options may be found here.
**The Middle Grades Social Studies and Secondary History programs are offered as fully online when the cohort size for these teaching fields are, at least, 10 students. Otherwise, the programs are hybrid.
- Valid teaching certificate in the teaching field and grade level for which the applicant is applying.
- A 1-2 page personal statement describing the applicant's philosophy of education and professional goals.
- Professional résumé documenting education, teaching experience, service accomplishments, and record of leadership.
- Two online recommendations that address applicant’s success in teaching, ability for success in graduate study, and commitment to adolescent learners.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities that the applicant has attended showing evidence of a bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 2.75 from an accredited institution, including successful completion of coursework related to the teaching field.
- Completed graduate application with application fee.
*International applicants have additional requirements; see the Graduate Admissions section of the KSU Graduate Catalog.
The requirements for completion of a M.Ed. degree in Secondary or Middle Grades Education include:
- completion of a minimum of 36 hours of approved graduate coursework,
- completion of a minimum of 27 semester hours of the minimum 36 hours in full standing at Kennesaw State University, and
- meeting KSU's requirements for satisfactory graduate student performance and for graduation, as outlined in the Academic Policies section of the KSU Graduate Catalog.
April 1 for admission for summer semester - ALL documents must be submitted by the deadline date. Summer semester is recommended for those students who want to finish in five (5) semesters and take two (2) to three (3) classes each semester. Summer semester is also recommended for those pursuing endorsements.
July 1 for admission for fall semester - ALL documents must be submitted by the deadline date. Fall semester is recommended for those students who want to finish in four (4) semesters and take three (3) classes each semester.
For more information about this degree program, please call 470.578.6314 or email email@example.com.
For more information on graduate admissions, please call 470.578.6043 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.APPLY NOW TO START IMPACTING LIVES