M.Ed. In Secondary and Middle Grades EducationOVERVIEW ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS DEGREE REQUIREMENTS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS KSU Catalog
Become an evidence-based instructional leader, reflective scholar-practitioner, and responsive change agent.
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Secondary and Middle Grades Education is for teachers certified in middle (4-8) or secondary (6-12) English/language arts, history/social studies, mathematics, or the sciences.
Why choose the M.Ed. in Secondary and Middle Grades Education at KSU?
The M.Ed. in Secondary and Middle Grades Education may serve as a bridge to the Ed.S. or Ed.D. in Secondary and Middle Grades Education at Kennesaw State University. For the Ed.S., 6 credit hours may be transferred from the M.Ed. For the Ed.D., 9 credit hours may be transferred from the M.Ed. Students may have their transcripts analyzed by the Program Coordinator to verify program-related standards to possibly receive additional credit hours applied toward the Ed.S. or Ed.D.
Credit Hours: 36Format: Online
Completion Time: 4 to 6 semesters
Four content areas in Secondary Education:
ScienceFour content areas in Middle Grades Education:
Utilizes a content-focused, standards-based program.Creates evidence-based instructional leaders who know how to build on the strengths and meet the needs of all learners.
Cultivates reflective scholar-practitioners who know how to use, produce, and disseminate educational research.Develops responsive change agents who know how to maintain partnerships with families and communities.
- EDUC 7700: Reflective Inquiry for Transformative Teaching and Learning
This course introduces advanced candidates to the concepts of reflective inquiry and transformative teaching and learning as key tools to become agents of change. Advanced candidates will learn how to self-assess their own teaching practices, develop a growth plan for transformative teaching based on their reflection, locate quality research related to the issues identified in their own self-assessment, and write a literature review.
- EDUC 7750: Differentiation, Academic Language, and Assessment in Middle and Secondary Classrooms
This course prepares teachers to become responsive educators who know how to improve middle and secondary grades content learning for all students through assessment, differentiation, and academic language, particularly in the service of English learners and students with special needs. Course includes 20-hour field experience in approved educational setting with English learners and/or students with disabilities.
- EDUC 7752: Transformative Teaching and Learning with Families and Communities
This course prepares advanced candidates to become responsive change agents who know how to develop and sustain partnerships with families and communities to improve middle and secondary grades content learning for all students. Theories and practical approaches to effective middle and secondary grades teaching and learning in collaboration with families and communities will be explored. Course includes 20-hour field experience in approved educational setting with English learners and/or students with disabilities and their families.
- EDUC 7797: Capstone in Middle and Secondary Grades Education
This course prepares advanced candidates to work under the supervision of faculty to demonstrate their expertise in a focused area of their teaching field through an independent, research-based capstone project. Candidates will also provide evidence of their efforts to transform their practice based on the specific strategies and knowledge bases developed and/or deepened in the program. Course includes 20-hour field experience in an approved educational setting with middle or secondary students.
Must possess the following beyond the general KSU Graduate College Admission Requirements:
- Degree – Bachelor’s degree.
- Certificate – Uploaded to graduate application. Valid clear, renewable Georgia teaching certificate, or out-of-state equivalent, in the teaching field and grade level for which the applicant is applying. To print a copy of your clear, renewable Georgia teaching certificate, you may log into your MyPSC account.
- Résumé or Professional Vitae – Uploaded to graduate application. Should document education, teaching experience, community service, and your record of leadership.
- Recommendation Forms (2) – Forms and their directions are in the online graduate application. May submit letters of recommendation or utilize evaluation form to be completed via the graduate application. The KSU Graduate College will send electronic evaluation forms to these sources. Two evaluations must be submitted for this admission requirement to be noted as complete. These recommendations must come from an educational professional who has taught or supervised your work and who can write with authority about your abilities as an educator.
- Professional Reflections Statement – Uploaded to graduate application. Should be 1-2 page personal statement describing the applicant’s philosophy of education and professional goals.
* Please note: International Students (Visa and Green Card Holders) Please visit KSU’s International Graduate Admissions site for additional requirements. Additionally, KSU’s International Student and Scholar Services provides assistance.
To complete the M.Ed. in Secondary and Middles Grades Education, candidates must:
- Complete of a minimum of 36 hours of approved graduate coursework, including:
- 15 credit hours of Core courses;
- 12 credit hours of Teaching Field courses; and
- 9 credit hours of guided electives.
- Complete of a minimum of 27 semester hours of the total 36 hours in full standing at Kennesaw State University.
- Meet KSU's requirements for satisfactory graduate student performance and for graduation, as outlined in the Academic Policies section of the KSU Graduate Catalog.
There is also the opportunity to earn an endorsement while pursuing the M.Ed. degree.
Spring, Nov 1 | Summer, April 1 | Fall, July 1
For more information please email the Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM OF STUDY (PDF)