Ed.S. in Secondary and Middle Grades EducationOVERVIEW COURSES FAQS KSU CATALOG
The Ed.S. in Secondary and Middle Grades Education is designed for candidates who have already earned an M.Ed. in Secondary and Middle Grades Education or a related field and wish to continue graduate study in order to enhance their expertise and improve their practice. Candidates will develop in-depth knowledge and skills to implement in their classrooms and schools in ways that advance all students’ rights to an education that supports social and economic justice and academic success. Courses focusing on technology, learner-centered curriculum and instruction, learners and families from diverse backgrounds, and critical pedagogy that will aid candidates in meeting these crucial needs.
The Ed.S. In Secondary and Middle Grades Education program coursework is fully online*, preparing professional teachers to enhance their content and instructional expertise and strengthening their ability to improve student learning.
- Completed in four semesters (15 months); 30 credit hours
- 100% ONLINE
- All degrees are approved for certificate upgrades by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission
- Focus on learner-centered curriculum and instruction in the content areas
- Small class sizes and individualized learning
- Designed to advance middle grades and secondary teachers’ content knowledge and knowledge of diverse adolescent learners
- Coursework may be transferred into the Ed.D. in Secondary and Middle Grades Education program
- SMGE Bridge Program: The M.Ed. in Secondary and Middle Grades Education may serve as a bridge to the Ed.S. in Secondary and Middles Grades Education at Kennesaw State University. For Ed.S., 6 credit hours may be transferred from the M.Ed. Students may have their transcripts analyzed by the Program Coordinator to verify program-related standards to possibly receive additional credit hours applied toward the Ed.S.
Program of Study
The program includes 30 total hours, including 9 hours of education and research core courses, 12 hours of Secondary and Middle Grades major courses, and 9 hours of teaching field courses.
We offer the Ed.S. with a Major in Secondary and Middle Grades Education:
- Secondary English
- Secondary Mathematics
- Secondary History
- Secondary Chemistry
- Secondary Biology
- Middle Grades Language Arts
- Middle Grades Mathematics
- Middle Grades Social Studies
- Middle Grades Science
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution or sent electronically from the institution directly to email@example.com.
- Clear Renewable Georgia Teaching Certificate - To print a copy of your Georgia clear, renewable certificate, you may log onto www.gapsc.com.
- Personal Statement and Research Analysis Task - Can be uploaded into the online application. The applicant will provide the personal statement and the research analysis of the article selected from the recommended list in his/her area of content expertise following the instructions in the Ed.S. Personal Statement and Research Analysis Task.
- Resume or Professional Vitae - Can be uploaded into the online application. Should document your education, years of teaching experience, current school and district, volunteer, and service activities in which you have participated, and any leadership involvement. Resume MUST reflect at least THREE years of professional teaching or administrative experience prior to admission consideration.
- Interview - Interviews are not being required at this time.
April 1 for admission for summer semester - ALL documents must be submitted by the deadline
July 1 for admission for fall semester - ALL documents must be submitted by the deadline date.
For more information about this degree program, please call 470.578.6314 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on graduate admissions, please call 470.578.6043 or email email@example.com.