M.A.T. Secondary Mathematics or Science OverviewMATH COURSES SCIENCE COURSES FAQS OVERVIEW KSU CATALOG - MATH KSU CATALOG - SCIENCE
The program emphasizes development of candidate understanding of adolescent development, educational psychology, curriculum, assessment, and teaching strategies particular to the teaching of secondary mathematics or secondary science. Through yearlong clinical experiences, candidates apply all they have learned so that they can impact the learning of all of their students.
The M.A.T. in Secondary Mathematics or Secondary Science is based on the standards for teacher preparation of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics & National Science Teachers Association and is fully approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission. The program is designed to be completed in three to four semesters for well-qualified students who want accelerated paths into teaching. The M.A.T. in Secondary Mathematics or Secondary Science leads to initial certification in mathematics, biology, chemistry, or physics for grades 6-12.
Program of Study
The program comprises 36 total hours, including, at least, 15 hours of professional sequence courses and 15 hours of teaching field courses. Science candidates will take an additional six hours of content area courses to be determined in consultation with their advisors. Mathematics candidates will take the following sequence:
Mathematics Content Courses (6 hours)
MAED 7495: Advanced Perspectives on School Mathematics I (3 hrs.) – online
MAED 7595: Advanced Perspectives on School Mathematics II (3 hrs.) – online
- Online Graduate Application – Use the online application form here. There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts – Official transcripts from EACH college and/or university you have attended. Must be in sealed envelope or sent electronically from the institution.
- GACE Program Admission Test – Reading, Writing, and Math. Test scores should be sent directly to KSU. More info
on GACE testing can be found at the GACE website. You may exempt the GACE Program Admission Test by meeting any of the following:
- ACT: at least 43 (English & Math)
- GRE: at least 297 (Verbal & Quantitative)
- SAT: at least 1000 (Verbal & Quantitative)
- Georgia Educator Ethics Entry Assessment – More info can be found at the GACE website.
- PSC Application for Pre-Service Teaching Certification – Information and application can be found at the Bagwell College of Education Pre-Service Teaching Certification website.
- Personal Statement – Can be uploaded into the online application. Should be 1-2 pages and explains what has led to your decision to become an educator.
- Resume – Can be uploaded into the online application. Should document education, any teaching experience, volunteer and service accomplishments, and record of leadership activities.
- Two Letters of Recommendation – Can be sent electronically through the online application.
- Interview – An interview may be required. If so, you will be contacted by the program to schedule.
Prerequisites for Admission to the M.A.T. in Secondary Mathematics
- Calculus I
- Calculus II
- Calculus III
- Geometry* (2000-level course or above)
- Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability* (2000-level course or above)
*These two courses may be taken concurrently while enrolled in the program, increasing total hours to as much as 48 credit hours.
April 1 for admission for summer semester - ALL documents must be submitted by the deadline
November 1 for admission for spring semester - ALL documents must be submitted by the deadline date.
For more information about this degree program, please call 470.578.6314 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on graduate admissions, please call 470.578.6043 or email email@example.com.