Educational Leadership, Tier I Certificate OnlyOVERVIEW KSU CATALOG
The Tier I Certification program in Educational Leadership provides candidates who already hold master’s degrees in education with the content knowledge and credentials necessary to effectively lead schools, districts, and multi-million dollar educational organizations. Applicants accepted into the program beginning in the Fall of 2021, completing all degree requirements, will be eligible for a Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) Tier I Leadership Certification.
The Tier I Certification is an eighteen (18) hour program that is typically completed in three (3) semesters (classes available every spring/summer/fall). The certification leads to a clear renewable Tier I leadership certification (L5) in Georgia and is fully approved by the GaPSC. Candidates earning the degree who move to states in which leadership certification is also conferred at the MED level may be eligible for professional licensure in that state through reciprocity.
The program is highly professionally oriented, and candidates for the program are expected to currently be employed in a professional role in an organization providing professional educational services (e.g., school, regional educational service agency, department of education). Field activities accompany the semester’s work to provide a synthesis of the practical and theoretical knowledge necessary for today’s educational leader. At the conclusion of the program, candidates will possess the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary to lead schools to higher levels of achievement for all students.
Tier I Certification program at a Glance
- Fully Online
- Eighteen (18) hours
- Typically Completed in 1 Year, Taking 2 Courses Per Semester
* Please note: The GaPSC requires that students complete assessments prior to enrollment and completion in programs that lead to certification (M.Ed. and Tier I Certification Only). The GACE Leadership Ethics Exam must be taken prior to enrollment in certification programs, and the GACE Educational Leadership content exam must be taken in order to be certified. Students who have taken the Ethics Exam in a M.Ed./Tier I program do not need to re-take for enrollment into the Ed.S./Tier II.
Program of Study
Required Certification Courses (18 hours)
EDL 7201 Leading Curriculum and Assessment
EDL 7315 Data Analysis School Leaders
EDL 7401 Instructional Leadership for Learning & Change
EDL 7415 Human Resources, Law, and Ethics for school leaders
EDL 7601 School Operations and Organizational Management
EDL 7615 Communication and community relations for school leaders
Must possess the following beyond the general KSU Graduate College Admission Requirements:
- Degree – Master’s degree in professional education or a related field.
- Certificate – Uploaded to graduate application. Current clear, renewable Georgia Teaching or Service field Certificate or out-of-state equivalent. To print a copy of your clear, renewable Georgia teaching certificate, you may log into your MyPSC account.
- GACE Leadership Ethics Assessment – Completion Certificate must be uploaded to graduate application. More information may be found on the GACE Leadership Ethics website. You may also print a copy of your completion certification from the GACE Ethics test taker website.
- Résumé or Professional Vitae – uploaded to graduate application.
- Experience – Minimum of TWO (2) years of teaching experience required.
- Employment – Employed in role within an organization providing educational services.
- Recommendation/Evaluation Form (1) – forms and their directions are in the online graduate application. May submit letter of recommendation or utilize evaluation form to be completed via the graduate application. The KSU Graduate College will send electronic evaluation forms to these sources. This recommendation should come from an educational professional who has taught or supervised your work and who can write with authority about your abilities as an educator.
- Mentor Form – completed by a mentor holding a GaPSC clear, renewable Tier I or Tier II Leadership certificate. The Leadership Mentor Form provides instructions and requirements. Completed form must be uploaded to graduate application. Individuals employed in a private school setting will need to reach out to the Bagwell Certification Officer for further guidance.
- M.Ed. may accept up to 9 hours of approved credit with a “B” or better and no more than 5 years old.
- Tier I Certification Only may rarely accept 3 hours of approved credit with a “B” or better and no more than 5 years old.
Deadlines for Applications
Spring, November 1 | Summer, April 1 | Fall, July 1