Tort Liability Insurance
Kennesaw State University
Bagwell College of Education
Center for Education Placements and Partnerships
TORT LIABILITY INSURANCE
Teacher education students are required to obtain Tort Liability Insurance prior to any field experience. This insurance covers expenses related to civil suits brought against education students for acts or omissions that occur at a school. No amount of vigilance or professionalism can prevent some accidents. Also, a suit that incurs expenses can be brought against a person even if it is groundless. For these reasons, education students are required to obtain Tort Liability Insurance.
Tort Liability insurance is required for field experiences in any class and for practicum experiences. Be advised that you will need to provide proof of coverage/membership in the semester in which one of these experiences occurs since coverage/membership can lapse yearly. Proof of coverage is documented with your signature on the "Verfication of Liability Insurance" form attesting to the fact that you have or agree to purchase coverage for the time period (Fall) during which you will complete your practicum experience.
- You may not begin any field experience before the “Verification of Liability Insurance” form has been completed.
- If you are a member of PAGE or GAE, then you have tort liability insurance through that membership. You will just need to provide this information on the "Verification of Liability Insurance" form.
- If you are employed by a school system and have professional liability insurance through your school, please provide that information on the "Verification of Liability Insurance" form.
- If you are NOT employed as a teacher, you qualify for a STUDENT membership (cheaper rates) with PAGE. See the information about SPAGE (Student Page) below. SPAGE does not provide coverage for you when you are a teacher, paraprofessional, substitute or any other paid position, even if your student membership has not expired. You must upgrade your membership to "Professional" in order to have coverage as a teacher.
- For a fee, you can obtain tort liability coverage from an insurance provider.
- For a fee, you can obtain coverage by joining one of the following organizations: