M.A.T. Special Education - General CurriculumCOURSES FAQs OVERVIEW KSU CATALOG
The MAT in Special Education leads to a Master’s degree and initial P-12 Certification in Special Education General Curriculum. Candidates are eligible for the Reading Endorsement upon completion and receipt of their Georgia clear renewable teaching certificate.
How long will it take to complete?
Students complete the 42 credit hours (minimum) of coursework over a period of 4 semesters (including the summer).
What certificate level are you eligible for?
Initial P-12 certification in Special Education and Reading Endorsement.
Program of Study
Summer (9 credit hours)
- INED 7710: Foundations in Special Education
- INED 7650: Curriculum and instruction for
students with Disabilities
- EDRD 6715: Introduction to Theory and
Pedagogy in the Study of Reading
Fall I (12 credit hours)
- EDUC 6610: Introduction to Yearlong Clinical
- INED 6651: SPED Yearlong Clinical Experience I
- INED 7630: Assessment for Diverse Learners
- INED 7660: Evidence-Based Instruction For
Students with Disabilities in the Content Areas
- EDRD 6717: An Introduction to Reading
Assessment & Instruction
Spring I (12 credit hours)
- INED 6661: SPED Yearlong Clinical Experience II
- INED 7620: Assessment of English Language
- EDRD 6718: Content Area Reading and Writing
Summer II (9 credit hours)
- EDUC 6240: Psychological Foundations of Education
- ITEC 7400: 21st Century Teaching and Learning
- INED 7780: Collaborative Practices
TOTAL: 42 Credit Hours
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution.
- GACE Program Admissions Assessment (PAA) -- Reading, Writing, and Math. Request official score report be sent directly to KSU. More info on GACE testing can be found at: http://gace.ets.org
- Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment (360) -- More info can be found at www.gace.ets.org/ethics
- Personal Statement - The statement should be 1-2 page personal statement.
- Personal Resume or CV
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- GaPSC Application for Pre-Service Certification: needed after being admitted to the program. Information and Application can be found at: http://bagwell.kennesaw.edu/units/ess/resources/pre-service-certification
How do I Apply
- Follow the Admission Requirements Inclusive Education Department Checklist.
- Complete and submit the online graduate application.
- Schedule testing (if needed).
- Gather and submit support documents.
- Check additional requirements for international students.
- Be sure to meet all deadlines.
- Investigate Financial Aid.
Interested applicants should refer to KSU Graduate Admission's M.A.T. page for admission deadlines and application links.
For more information regarding the MAT in Special Education, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 470-578-6043.