M.A.T. in TESOLCOURSES FAQs OVERVIEW KSU CATALOG
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) is a degree for those with a bachelor’s degree, but no education background or teacher certification. Successful completion of program coursework and the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) approved content pedagogy assessment, qualifies graduates for initial teaching certification.
The MAT TESOL focuses on teaching P-12 students who are culturally and linguistically diverse. Core courses include curriculum development, collaborative practices, and content area reading and writing.
Teachers who currently hold a valid teaching certificate, and who are interested in a TESOL master's degree program, should go to the TESOL M.Ed. website located here.
How long will it take to complete?
Students complete the 39 credit hours of course work over a period of approximately 4-7 semesters (including courses in the summer). The final two semesters include intensive field placements within schools.
Program of Study
INED 7781: Cultural Issues for ESOL Teachers
EDUC 6240: Psychological Foundations of Education
INED 7782: Applied Linguistics for ESOL Teachers
INED 7783: Methods and Materials for Teaching ESOL
INED 7731: Assessment of English Language Learners
INED 7779: Collaborative Practices with Families, Schools & Communities
INED 7750: Language, Power and Pedagogy
INED 7787: Content Area Reading and Writing for English Learners
INED 7763: Curriculum Development for Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Learners
EDUC 6610: Introduction to Yearlong Clinical Experience (F2F)
INED 6650: TESOL Yearlong Clinical Experience I (F2F)
INED 6400: Effectively Supporting Students with Exceptionalities in Inclusive Settings
INED 6660: TESOL Yearlong Clinical Experience II (F2F)
TOTAL 39 Credit Hours
Program Admission Requirements
- Online Graduate Application - There is a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from EACH College and/or University you have attended. Must be in a sealed envelope from the institution.
- GACE Program Admissions Assessment (PAA) -- Reading, Writing, and Math. Request official score report be sent directly to KSU. More info on GACE testing can be found at: http://gace.ets.org
- Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment -- More info can be found at www.gace.ets.org/ethics
- Personal Statement - The statement should be 1-2 page personal statement.
- Personal Resume or CV
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- GaPSC Application for Pre-Service Certification: needed after being admitted to the program. Information and Application can be found at: http://bagwell.kennesaw.edu/units/ess/resources/pre-service-certification
* Please note: International Students (Visa and Green Card Holders) should visit KSU's International Graduate Admissions site for additional requirements.
How do I Apply
Interested applicants should refer to KSU Graduate Admission's M.A.T. page for admission deadlines and application links.
For more information about this program please email email@example.com or call 470-578-6043.