The BCOE Research Catalyst oversees the Interactive Research Methods Lab (IRML) and tries to be an avant-garde one that summarizes the pioneering nature of the Interactive Research Methods Lab, as well as the groundbreaking educational and research practices that are promoted when using it.
Duties of the Research Catalyst:
The main duties of the Research Catalyst are:
- Oversee, manage, develop and evolve the Interactive Research Methods Lab.
- Support faculty in their research endeavors while using the IRML, by providing guidance in navigating the key steps in the generation of solid and well-informed research designs.
- Support students’ training in core qualitative, quantitative, and mixed research methods, while using the IRML.
- Develop ad hoc innovative didactic units to help faculty integrate the IRML in their D2L undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Seek external funding to support the functioning of the IRML.
- Facilitate and coordinate the work of the team of scholars involved in the functioning of the IRML.
- Serve as an innovative research liaison to support students and faculty throughout their research studies by answering questions, offering advice and providing feedback.
- Establish partnerships with local (i.e., schools and school districts), national, and international institutions, with the aim of disseminating and extending the IRML.
- Facilitate the generation of research products to disseminate the work done by students and faculty in the IRML.
- Represent the Bagwell College of Education in KSU’s Research Advisory Council.
- Collaborate with the BCOE Research Consortium Committee to enhance faculty connectivity regarding research endeavors.
- Curate a page within the Research Consortium’s website dedicated to research news coming from the Office of Research.
BCOE Research Action Plan (2020-2023)
Check BCOE Research Action Plan (Fall 2020-Fall 2023)
Strategy & Resources supporting "Action 1: Development and implementation of a series of workshops on how to gather & show the impact of our research."
How to create a faculty website using Omniupdate
How to create a SelectedWorks profile in Digital Commons (bepress)
How to create a Google Scholar profile
How to create an ORCID profile
How to create a Research Gate profile
Workshop 4/2/2021-Creation of a faculty website using OmniUpdate
Workshop 2/19/2021-Creation of Research profiles
Call for the Creation of Research Teams in the BCOE (2/16/2021)
Purpose: The Bagwell College of Education developed and approved in Fall 2020 the BCOE Research Action Plan (2020-2023) (RAP). This plan is an attempt to operationalize the objectives included in the four areas of interest described in the research section of the BCOE R2 Roadmap to Success: a) Faculty Research/Scholarship/Creativity; b) Faculty/Student Research; c) Collaborative/ Interdisciplinary/Partnership Research; d) Innovations, Possibilities Aligned with the undergraduate and graduate task forces .
This competitive call aims at incentivizing the creation and establishment of formal research teams in the BCOE to work around key topics in education and contribute to the college research endeavors.
Eligibility: Any full-time teaching faculty, tenure track, lecturer/senior lecturer, non-tenure track professorial ranked faculty, or clinical faculty is eligible. The application process is open to all BCOE faculty members.
Award Amount and commitment: Four research teams of up to 3-5 members will be funded with $2,000 each. Research teams will be given GRA allocation preference in the FY22 GRA/GTA allocation process.
Each recipient team will commit to: a) produce before the end of the Spring 2021 semester, a three-page strategic plan summarizing the expected work to be done as a team until Fall 2023, and; b) submit a grant proposal for external funding, or submit a manuscript for publication before the end of Spring 2022.
Research teams could use the funds of the award to: a) cover registration fees for conferences that further the development of the research team; b) purchase books related to the topic/s the research team will be working on; c) purchase resources, small equipment, or materials to facilitate the creation/development of the research team, and; d) cover the expenses of a research retreat to facilitate the establishment of the research team and the development of an strategic plan.
Award Criteria: The following are the criteria that will be used for the awards.
- Sustained record of scholarship of the members of the proposed team
- Balance between senior and junior faculty within the proposed team
- Inclusion of a collaborator researcher external to the BCOE
- Previous collaborations that support the creation of the group
- A Cover Sheet including:
- Title of this award (Call for the Creation of Research Teams in the BCOE);
- Names, rank and title(s), department/s, of the members of the proposed research team;
- Name for the proposed research team, and;
- Short bio of no more than 200 words of each of the members of the proposed research team;
- A current curriculum vitae of each of the members of the proposed research team
- A one-page rationale justifying the creation of the research team, and;
- All materials must be compiled into a single pdf document.
Application Deadline: March 26, 2021 by 11:59 PM
Submit the Application Packet to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Evaluation Procedures: A committee will be formed to evaluate nominations. The committee will include the BCOE Research Catalyst, the chair of the Research Consortium, and representatives for each department in the Research Consortium Committee.
BCOE Research Teams Awardees 2021
Research Team: Belonging: Beyond Fitting In
- Dr. Ann Bennett
- Dr. Darolyn Flaggs
- Dr. Alison Hedrick (external to BCOE)
- Dr. Amy Hillen
- Dr. Belinda Edwards
- Dr. Wendy Sanchez
Research Team: STEM for Justice
- Dr. Belinda P. Edwards
- Dr. Michael Dias
- Dr. Laurie Brantley-Dias
- Dr. Tiffany Roman
- Dr.: Mars Berwanger (external to BCOE)
- Dr. Amanda Barrett (external to BCOE)
Research Team: Personalized Learning Research
- Dr. Dabae Lee
- Dr. Laurie Dias
- Dr. Yeol Huh (external to BCOE)
Research Team: CT for Teacher Education Research Team
- Dr. Yi Jin
- Dr. Jason Harron
- Dr. Selena He (external to BCOE)
News & General Resources
Upcoming Internal Funding Opportunities for 2021-2022 (Office of Research)
Research Resources for Faculty in the Bagwell College of Education
Check BCOE Research News
Contact meYou can contact Dr. Iván M. Jorrín Abellán (BCOE Research Catalyst) at email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org.